January 19, 2012

If you fly too high..you fall flat on your face: Giaa Manek

Giaa Manek aka Gopi Bahu of ‘Saath Nibhana Saatiya’ is certainly one of the most successful television actress of today’s time.  Last year she won 6 awards for playing sweet and caring Gopi. Surely she is flying high but still staying grounded.



In an exclusive conversation with Scrutiny, Giaa shares her journey so far in the industry..


As a child Giaa was..
Giaa was born in Ahmadabad but bought up in Mumbai. She is the only child. By nature she is very reserved and shy, but as she grew up and joined the College there was a sudden change. She totally got a makeover and become all the more social and talkative.

If not an actor..
I always wanted to be an actor since I started watching television, as a child I was always fascinated by the glamour world. I constantly dream on and on about being that remarkable character that inspires me in movies and TV serials. Finally I reached a point where I just stopped dreaming and actually started living my dreams.

Reaction from family..
I remember once I was watching Salman Khan’s movie on Doordarshan and was trying to recite the dialogues of the actress. After that I told my mom in Gujrati ‘Mahre TV par aavavu che ane moti abhinetri banvu che’ (I want to come on television and become a big actor).

Being a kid my parents didn’t take me seriously at that time. But I was damn serious and desperately wanted to join glamour world. Gradually my mom realized that I should try out my luck in acting, but she wanted me first to finish my studies. As a protective father, my dad was against this decision but my mother was very supportive and always stood by me. As soon as I completed my graduation, I did not even wait for my results to come out and requested my mom to make my portfolio.

First time I was myself on screen..
I was speechless when I saw myself on screen.  I almost died, I must say it was quite a nerve wracking experience.  I was on heaven because that is what I always wanted to do since I was 3-4 years old. It was a special occasion for my parents too, as nobody in my family ever had built a career in any sort of media field. It is only because of God, my parents and my hard work, that I am what I am today.

Giaa versus Gopi..
Gopi is too soft spoken, introvert, too slow and protective about people where as Giaa is a chatter box and a complete brat. I simply cannot sit idle like Gopi. She knows that whatsoever is happening in her life is because of a reason, I also think so.

7 pm slot..
When my show started I was really upset and did not have hopes at all that this show will go places because it was a 7pm slot. And you always wonder who is going to watch the show?. But then our ratings have gradually picked up. The show has been accepted very well and I am glad to be part of ‘Saath Nibhana Saathiya’.

About her journey so far..
Before signing ‘Saath Nibhana Saathiya’ I had signed 17 contracts with different production houses and for some reasons things never worked out. I have to sit at home for about 1-2 months after signing every contract. They say we will call you sometime next week, it’s just like taarik pe taarik, taarik pe taarik. But then nothing really happened except a few ad assignments and a movie ‘Naa Ghar Ke Naa Ghat Ke’ with Om Puri and Neena Gupta.

Go on..
 I had also given an audition for ‘Palkon Ki Chao Mein’, but things did not work out there. After that I was finalized for ‘Saath Nibhana Saathiya’, which is number one show today. I was not the first choice to play the leading lady. Production house had in fact shot few episodes with 3 other girls. They later felt that I would be easily accepted as a ‘Gopi Bahu’, and I bagged the role. I believe God always has something better in store, I am glad that those 17 contracts didn’t worked out.

Current show that didn't impressed you so much?
I am always shooting round the clock, so I don't get much time to watch television. But I know which is the new serial coming and which one is going off air. I don’t even know when was the last telecast of ‘Saath Nibhana Saathiya’ I saw. Every night I make sure to watch my show online before going to sleep.

Has stardom changed Giaa?
Stardom has not changed me at all. I am the same Giaa who enjoys meeting people and is friendly with everyone. I think now I become more grounded. I heard about a lot of actors throwing tantrums, but I firmly believe that if you fly too high you fall flat on your face. Big stars like Amitabh Bachchan do not have an attitude. I still have a long way to go, and the more grounded I be in my work and my nature that would help me to reach where I would want to.

-K Himaanshu Shukla...

"To read more about Giaa Manek  Click Here"

Your valued comments on interview are highly appreciated..

Join us on Facebook

Copyright © 2012 - ScrutinyByKHimaanshu

4 comments:

  1. hi my self mudassar from pakistan and i like his serial sath nibhaniya sathiya i like very very much

    ReplyDelete